Loses the fuel cell against the Methanol engine

There is a dfifference between sending some huamns to the moon or to develop a car for a sales woman with 1000.-EUR minimum wage. A cost anaylsis of the fuel cell.



The hydrogen fuel cell is just right now at $3000 per kW. Eine Methanol fuel cells even at 55.000,-EUR per kW. Spezial tanks for hydrogen are also not cheap.

  The other way to the hydrogen age


The other way is to stretch biomass by hydrogen to produce Methanol. Reputated sources develop an ICE internal combustion engine with generator reaching 40% electric efficiency.

  2800 kg wood is cheaper


Let's look on a medium sized car like the Opel Flextreme over 300,000 km usage Let's assume there are enough batteries to drive 80% of all km electric only. For the remaining 20% Methanol or hydrogen with fuel cell.

2 C10H14O7 + 28H2 + 3O2 --> 20 CH3OH
1kg tr. Holz + 115g H2 (~1,3m³) + 0,14m³ O2 --> 1,65l Methanol

With 13.5 kWh/100 km direct at the generator with 40% efficiency, 33,75 kWh chemical energy for 100km. This are 7,67 litre Methanol or 4,65 kg dry wood and the energy necessary for the conversion to Methanol. This is about the same energy as for electrolysis, liquification and compression at hydrogen.

But a plug-in hybrid drives most of the time electric. So wood is only used for 60,000 of the 300,000 km. Here is 2800 kg wood, a simple internal combustion engine, a simple tank on one side and all the problems of hydrogen and fuel cells on the other.

Hydrogen
Where will hydrogen as a storage medium determine our energy future and where will the hydrogen technology fail by more suitable methods?


Methanol
Hydrogen as an energy carrier is with one carbon and one oxygen atom per 4 hydrogen atoms much easyer to transport. The other hydrogen age.




  2008 the countdown for electric mobility runs


A revolution is coming as significant as the change from horse cabs to cars. How can we accelerate the countdown to electric mobility?

Diesel engine in the future
Analyses about the future of the Diesel engine in the beackground of new technology and optimizing the fuel supplay after Peak Oil.


Higher city toll for gasoline guzzlers
It is the luxury class where all fundamental new developments at cars had been the first time set in and later gradual found the way to small cars.


Prices at fuels turn over
From 1988 to 2018 in only 30 years is a complete turn over of the prices at fuels for cars. Numbers based on German prices and solar radiation.


Energy efficiency of cars
Compare of different propulsion systems in the same car, ICE internal combustion engine vs electric power from fuel, coal to liquid, bimass, wind energy, solar energy.


Load speed
How many km range can be per hour load time or refueling put in the batteries or in the tanks? An important criteria for reference number vehicles.


Eat my dirt
Mobility with ICE internal combustion engines is something very aggressive. You have to be under all circumstances faster than the others, otherwise You will eat their dirt.




Analysis lead price
Analysts always claim to hear the gras growing, but they pretend not to hear 60 million electric scooters in China. The true reason for the high lead price.


Coal liquification
Compare of coal liquification for the production of liquid fuels vs making electric power out of coal and the usage in vehicles with electric propulsion.


Biofuel furtherance
US$ 15 billion had been sent out 2007 in the OECD for the furtherance of biofuels. Just after military expenses the most ridiculous and dangerous expenses.


Chrysler car stock
Sell recommendation! The action Let's refuel America is an indicator, that Chrysler considers the situation on the oil market as a short time lasting speculation bubble




Context description:  other different alternative hydrogen age fuel cell car cars vehicle vehicles vs compared to Methanol ICE internal combustion engine
event events date time